Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Finally a nice, calm day!

Today was a pretty laid-back day, so this post will be nice and short!
Part of my breakfast, mangoes and milk!!!

In the morning, Dr. Sita from Nairobi gave a seminar about the work he does, a few of the forage species he works with and has been studying, as well as a brief summary about the samples he took from Monday at Zwai and what he'll be doing with them. It was all extremely interesting! Most of the workers from the Genebank attended the seminar. I felt kind of intimidated when I walked into the meeting room (where the seminar was) because all of them had notebooks and pens to write down notes! I didn't think we were supposed to or would want to, so I just came to listen... I'll know for the future!

The rest of the day was spent typing up my lab report some more and doing a little bit more research. I also went out to the greenhouse where one of my Canavalia sp. plants are growing that I took the cuttings from. I decided I should go out there to see it any of them have rooted yet. I could see a couple that have started, so I'm so excited! It should be only a couple more weeks until they all are rooted a good amount! Then I can plant them in some pots! I can't wait!

Lunch time!
Of course my injera lunch!
After lunch, things got a little more interesting though! Withing the next day or 2 we're going to make a different stain using aniline blue, which is a very good stain. It really shows up when the pollen grains stain or not. This staining solution requires a different process from the other stain I used a few weeks ago. For this one, I have to hand pollinate a flower or two, let it sit for a couple of hours (no more that 24 hours), then cut the pistils right above the ovaries, then stain the whole thing! After that, it has to sit for a while so that all the viable pollen gets stained. 

That's how my day went! I can't wait for tomorrow! It's Special Coffee Morning again!!! I feel like we just had it! But nope! It was already 2 weeks ago! Where is the time going?! It's going too fast! I'm already halfway done with the 5th week of my internship! Oh my goodness! Well that's all my news! Like I said, it was a pretty laid back day today!
Inside on of the greenhouses

Thought you might enjoy some humor...

A tortoise we found a couple weeks
ago!

Another picture of the tortoise

Some pretty flowers

Another pretty flower

No comments:

Post a Comment