Wednesday, July 9, 2014

A huge day about food!

I don't want to bore anyone, so this blog will probably be mainly about food. With pictures of course!

I'll talk about my work and project first because I did do work all day, but it's about the same as yesterday and I don't like being completely repetitive every day. So again I worked a lot on my lab report but I also did something different! He comes the exciting work information! I'm starting to work on vernalization for my Onocrychis arenaria! Vernalization is when a plant goes through a cold spell. This process puts the plant in a dormant state for a period of time. Sometimes this is needed for a plant in order to flower. This is one my my hypotheses as to why it's not flowering, so hopefully it's right! Dr. Jean took Millie and I into the lab after lunch to plug in the incubator that our plants will be put in for 4-6 weeks. They haven't been used for a while, so we had to reset all the dials and have it cool down. We set the incubator to be between 0-20 degrees Celsius. If it's under 20 degrees Celsius, it won't turn on, so when we get the temperature to get cold enough, we'll change the range between 0-10 degrees Celsius. I'm not sure they're working though because after over 3 hours of cooling down, the temperature didn't drop that much. I'll check them again in the morning to see if they've cooled down and are working and if they're not, Dr Jean will have someone work on them and fix them. She thinks they might not work because it's low on gas, so I guess we'll see in the morning!

Well that's all my work news!

This morning at 10:00, Tigist asked Millie and I to have tea and samosas with her! Of course we said yes! It was so great to do that! We haven't seen Tigist too much lately because she's been so busy with her work, different workshops happening, meetings, her class, and who knows what else! Her final paper for her class was due yesterday, so now that's off her mind! Also, she said that for the next couple of weeks, she's pretty free so she's able to do a lot of stuff with us! I can't wait!

Also, it was a big day for Andreas! It was his last day here at ILRI! It's definitely going to be different without him in the herbarium with us. He always kept it interesting. He had a new story to tell us every day, would say the strangest yet funniest things ever, always messed with Millie and I, and we all laughed all the time all day. It'll definitely be different and I'm not sure if it'll be a good or bad different... I know I'll miss him. He surprised me so much today though! So yesterday he told Millie and me that he was going to eat dinner at this one restaurant that sells some of the best burgers he's ever had! We said that we would have to try it sometime then, but he said that he'd bring us some burgers to work tomorrow instead! How nice! He brought us both a burger and fries!!! They were so good! It made our dinner tonight kind of interesting though because everything was cold of course, so we had to find a way to heat it up. We decided that the burgers would still taste good if we ate them cold, so we did and the tasted was still great! There was this strange yellow sauce that was filled with flavor and I have no idea. It really gave the burger a totally different flavor than any other burger I've ever had. Andreas was right. Those burgers are amazing! Heating up the fries was a fun time... Since we don't have a microwave or oven, I had to heat them up on the stove in one of my pans. It took a while, but they eventually got hot and tasted really good! They weren't too salty so they were perfect!
Just cooking my fries!
Amazing burger with fries and a fresh tomato!

Closer up:)

Look at the tasty burger!
We also cut up a watermelon to go along with this and it was so good again! So far I've been extremely happy with all of the watermelons we've bought so far! 

For lunch today, I didn't get injera... I know that's a complete shocker! I decided to shake it up a bit! Instead I got stir fried fish with cooked potatoes, cabbage, and zucchini! I love all of that so I couldn't pass that up today! They also started serving a special salad now and it's different every day! It's full of a mixture of ingredients! Today's salad was called Greek vegetarian salad. It had rice, lettuce, 2 different dressings, various fruits, and much more! Millie and I decided to each buy one dish and we'd share them because both dishes looked and sounded so tasty! And they were!

Stir fried fish!

Greek Vegetarian Salad!
Well I think that's all my news for today! Sorry it was all about food today! I'll be more interesting tomorrow I promise!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment