Monday, July 21, 2014

A great start to my last full week!

As I said in my blog from yesterday, Millie and I made cookies again for the staff in the Forage Diversity Genebank for our Monday Morning Meeting! I personally think these were some of our better cookies! The banana slices wouldn't stay on top, so we used some of the chocolate spread, or a different brand of what's supposed to be Nutella, and then placed the banana on top of that.

I was so surprised when we walked into the meeting room carrying them! Everyone was so excited for our cookies! Before today, I thought everyone was just being nice and eating them so we wouldn't feel bad about ourselves, but this morning, I could tell everyone was excited! They even said (jokingly I'm sure) that after Millie and I leave, everyone has to take turns and make a treat for the meetings every week! That was Temeselew's idea, so I take it he's the first volunteer? :)

This morning Millie and I decided to go to breakfast again this morning. It's so tough going there sometimes because you have to have the exact amount of money. It costs 60 birr per morning you go, and you have to have that, or you're stuck going the next day and paying for both days. To make this easy, Millie and I both handed them 300 birr to last us the entire week! At first he was hesitant to take it, but after we promised him we would show up every morning, he accepted it and smiled. Then him and the manager both told us to have a great day and they'll see us tomorrow! :) Yes'sir you will!

For some reason we took forever at breakfast this morning! It was almost 8 by the time we got back to our hostels to get our things for work, put the bananas on top, and finish up getting ready! Our meetings start at 8:30 sharp (which doesn't exactly follow the whole "Ethiopian time," but oh well! haha) We both had to hurry in order to get there on time! We made it with a couple minutes to spare, which was good! Because we were rushed this morning, I didn't get a picture like I promised, so sorry! I really wish I took one because they actually looked good!

I felt really bad. I didn't have enough time to was all of the dishes this morning before work... I washed all but one. It was the biggest dish too. I was really hoping that the women who clean my room every day wouldn't clean it, but that didn't happen... It was really strange though... When I got home after work, I found something really strange by my stove...

Notice anything strange???
There was a stick by my burner! I have no idea how it got there! Sticks don't just show up places. It couldn't have blown through my window... But I don't know how else it got there! Maybe the women got mad at me for leaving a dirty dish... Who knows!

Work today was really good! After the meeting I immediately set to work! My lab report is due before I leave and our seminar is this Friday! It's crunch time! Right away I started some work on my lab report while Millie worked on making some charts based off the interviews and the seed producers' answers. Later that morning, I headed off to Dr. Jean's office to ask her for some documents for my appendices. I needed quite a bit of documents and I knew she had them and could give them to me digitally so I didn't have to retype everything. I went it just to ask for a few things, thinking it would only take a couple minutes, and ended up staying just short of an hour! Dr. Jean gave me the whole load down about the finance of how all of ILRI functions. Very interesting, I'll admit! Just not my complete interest... I did get all of my appendices added in today, so now I just have to edit and tweak everything and add in my conclusions/suggestions and then I'm good to go! 

Now it's food time! I decided to have injera for lunch today! I was craving something different and since I haven't had it for a while, so I went for it!

Meat, lentils, and potatoes and carrots khat with injera!
For dinner, Millie and I went to the Zebu. Neither of us were really feeling the whole cooking thing tonight, so that would do! We ordered the Farmer's Salad and a serving of tibbs to share! To drink we both got the pineapple flavored Ambo, which was good! I love that flavor so much! The salad was very tasty this time! Usually there's a lot of cabbage, but this time there was an even amount of everything! Also, the dressing was good! It was slightly sweet, but loaded with flavor! Even the tibbs was delicious! I'm always satisfied with tibbs. It's always good! Tonight it was slightly spicier than it usually is. I think they added some of the spicy chili sauce in with it instead of putting it on the side like it usually is. Despite both Millie and my constant sniffling because of the spiciness, we finished both dishes in no time! :)

Mmmhhhmmm:) Deeeeeelicious!
We were handed our sign-out sheets today... That means we're officially leaving soon... Tigist called tonight to tell me that tomorrow we need to start getting it signed. She's hoping we get it all signed by the end of the day tomorrow, but if not, by Wednesday morning. She can't file for our payments until we turn those in. I feel like it's the last day of school again... Having all my teachers sign me out again. Except this is professors, finance workers, and many more. Half of the people who have to sign, I've never even met them or been inside the building! It's needed to to this though because otherwise I won't receive my last paycheck. And that's given to me in American dollars! How super! I have no idea how much it is though. I don't really care either. That's not what this internship is about. I didn't think I was supposed to get paid for this, but it turns out I am.

I just feel like this week is going to fly by! I mean Monday is already over! Also, I can't believe Dakota Olson is leaving his internship in Mexico already! It's all going by so quickly!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment